The Superstar Artist Economy Artist Income and the Top 1%
Since the advent of piracy artists have been told that they need not worry about declining music sales because their core business is making money from live and merchandise. At a headline level, macro music industry revenues appear to support the argument, but those numbers give little indication of the income that actually flows back to the artist nor of the impact of the hyper-concentration of revenue among the top of artists.
- Total music revenue declined by between 2000 2013, down from billion to in 2013.
- Artist income at billion in 2008 before to billion in 2013, back 2006 levels.
- Though higher 2000 levels the artist share total revenue is lower than 2010 high.
- Artist share income ranges from for recorded to for publishing.
- Recorded music the least proportionate value to and artists get less from recorded music retail dollar than do from other income sources.
- Music merchandise for just of global music revenue in 2013.
- Informal and secondary ticketing represents of all revenue, none of which flows down the live value chain.
- Expenses are largest single component of the value chain, accounting for of revenue.