Streaming Services Market Shares Spotify Leads Across Most Markets
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: This report includes the key findings of MIDiA’s Global Music Subscriber Market Share Model in which we present the subscribers, revenues and market shares of streaming services in more than different countries. This report contains charts and analysis for countries including consumer survey data, while the complete excel model is posted alongside this report.
- At the end of 2016 there were million music subscribers, up from million in 2015
- Spotify had million in retail revenue and a subscriber market share of at the end of 2016. This rose in June 2017
- Apple Music was second with million subscribers at the end of 2016, a market share and it had million in retail revenue
- In 2016 Apple was the largest driver of digital music revenue with a combined total of million across Apple Music and iTunes
- The US is the largest subscription market with million subscribers. Spotify leads with million subscribers, followed by Apple Music with million
- The UK is Europe’s largest streaming market with million subscribers and million in retail revenue in 2016, led by Spotify with million subscribers
- Deezer leads the French market with its subscribers million subscribers in 2016 representing of the million total
- Australia had million subscribers in 2016 with Spotify’s million subscribers representing of the total, followed by Apple Music on million
- China’s million-strong subscriber base is the second largest but its million revenue ranks just QQ music is the leading service with million subscribers in 2016
- Japan is the world’s third largest subscription market with million in revenue; Amazon leads with million subscribers, followed by dHits on million
- Brazil is Latin America’s largest subscription market, led by Spotify with million in subscription revenue
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon Prime Music, Anghami, Apple Music, AWA, Claro Musica, Deezer, d Hits, Google Play Music, KKBox, Kugou, Kuwo, Line Music, MelON, MTN Music, Napster, Netease, Pandora, QQ Music, Spotify, Tidal