Music Streaming Services Market Shares H1 2018 Subscriber Share Update
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: This report provides a global level mid-year update to MIDiA’s Music Subscriber Market Shares report, presenting 2018 figures.
- Music subscribers grew by in the first half of 2018 to reach million, up from million at the end of 2017
- Growth is steady rather than strongly accelerating – there were million net new subscribers added year-on-year (YoY) between 2017 and 2018, compared to million between 2016 and 2017
- This indicates growth remains on the faster-growth midpoint of the S-curve
- Between them, Spotify Apple Music and Amazon accounted for of all global music subscribers at the end of 2018
- Spotify once again maintained global market share of the same as in 2017, with million subscribers
- Apple added two points of market share, up to and up three points YoY, with million subscribers
- Across Prime Music and Music Unlimited Amazon added just under half a point of market share, stable at with a combined million subscribers
- Google performed strongly, adding million subscribers in the period.
- In Japan, Line Music experienced solid quarterly growth to reach one million subscribers
- In South Korea MelOn had a dip in but recovered in to finish slightly above 2017 with million subscribers
- In the US Pandora had a solid six months, adding million subscribers
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Amazon Prime Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple, Apple Music, Google, Google Play MusicLine Music, MelON, , Pandora, Spotify