Music market subscriber shares 2021 Growth is not letting up yet
The 20,000 foot view: This report presents key figures from MIDiA’s global music subscriber market shares model. The full dataset is published alongside this report, with quarterly data (from 2015 to 2021) and annual label trade revenue (from FY 2015 to FY 2020) for more than streaming services across different markets. The Excel dataset also includes an extensive consumer survey dataset.
- At the end of 2021 there were million music subscribers globally – up million from one year earlier, and faster growth than the prior year
- Spotify continues to have the largest music subscriber base, with its million 2021 subscribers representing of the global total
- Though Apple Music still had the second largest subscriber base in 2021 million), it was the slowest growing of the top five DSPs
- Amazon Music’s subscriber base grew by in the months up to 2021, reaching million and a market share
- Despite being constrained to China, Tencent Music Entertainment had the fourth largest subscriber base million) globally in 2021
- YouTube Music Premium was the fastest growing top five DSP in the months leading up to 2021, increasing to reach million subscribers
- Spotify commands the highest levels of weekly active users (WAUs), daily active users (DAUs), and paid users across the pure-play audio DSPs
- Spotify leads the million strong US subscription market, with market share, followed by Apple and Amazon
- Spotify’s million Australian subscribers gives it one of its highest market shares anywhere in the world and Apple being a distant second with million
- UK subscribers slowed from 2019 – 2020) to 2020 – 2021), with revenue growth following a similar trajectory
- Germany’s million revenues make it the third largest market globally of total), while it has the fourth largest subscriber base with million
- Melon dominated South Korea with a market share, but YouTube quadrupled subscribers between 2019 and 2021 to become a strong second placed player
- Japan is the only major music market globally where Amazon is the leading DSP, with its million subscribers in 2021 representing market share
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon Music, Anghami, Apple Music, AWA, Deezer, Gaana, Genie Music, YouTube Music, Hungama, Jio Saavn, Line Music, Melon, Napster, NetEase, Pandora, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tencent Music, Tidal, VKontakte, Wynk, Xiami, Yandex
- All revenues refer to label trade revenues (i.e., royalties paid for master recordings).
- Subscriber additions refer to net additions and do not reflect churned subscribers.
- For ease of reading, digital service providers (DSPs) are typically shortened. Importantly, this means that all references to YouTube refer to YouTube Music Premium, rather than the main YouTube app, unless otherwise stated.