Games purchasing by format Brick and mortar is not dead
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
This report presents a 2023 snapshot of US gamers who bought at least one game within a six-month period (between October 2022 and March 2023). This is broken down by physical versus digital format and digital versus physical distribution channel. It covers:
- % of gamers who purchased a game in a physical format through a physical (brick and mortar) retailer (e.g., Walmart, GAME)
- % of gamers who purchased a game in a physical format through a digital retailer (e.g., Amazon)
- % of gamers who purchased a game in a digital format through a digital retailer (e.g., PlayStation Store, Steam, Epic Games Store)
Gamer segments included are:
- By gamer platform (Mobile, PC, Console)
- By age segment
- By social media service user (Facebook, Facebook Messenger, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, Discord, WhatsApp, Twitch)
- By games genre fans (FPS, RPG, action / adventure, platformer, open world, sandbox, puzzle, simulator, strategy, MOBA, survival, and sports games)
- By gamer behaviour segment (online multiplayer players, in-game item buyers, games service subscribers)
The data in this report is from MIDiA Research’s 2023 consumer survey. The presented slides show the US Data on additional markets is available in the full 2023 survey.