US SVOD Subscriber Deep Dive 2019
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: In the build-up to the Disney+ launch in November 2019, the US market is dominated by the big five of Netflix (currently number one for paid subscriptions with million), Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Now and CBS All Access. Hulu showed the most dramatic growth, with a increase in subscribers between 2018 and 2019. Growth was more modest but still in double digits for the remaining three over the same time period. Engagement however remained largely flat, such as Netflix’s weekly active users (WAUs) growing by only over the same period, suggesting that peak attention is now directly impacting streaming video on demand (SVOD) in the US.
- Netflix remains the dominant US SVOD service with million paid subscribers
- Hulu was the fastest growing in absolute terms, adding million subscribers between 2018 and 2019
- However HBO Now had the fastest growth rate with subscriptions going up by between 2018 and 2019, adding million in 2019 alone of US video subscribers have more than one SVOD subscription – engagement is now more important a measure than subscriber count
- HBO Now added the most weekly active users (WAUs) during 2019, more than doubling to from 2018
- Hulu and Amazon increased WAU rates the most in the longer term, both adding six percentage points between 2018 and 2019
- The fact that Netflix lost three WAU percentage points between 2018 and 2018 before rebounding in 2019 suggests that Hulu’s gain was Netflix’s loss
- Comedy is the most widely watched genre among the user bases of three of the five largest SVOD services in the US of Netflix paid subscribers are aged and of Netflix subscribers also subscribe to Amazon Prime Video of Amazon Prime Video paid subscribers are aged and of total subscribers also subscribe to Netflix of Hulu paid subscribers are aged and of Hulu subscribers also subscribe to Netflix
- Hulu is doing the best job of delivering for younger audiences, with of its subscribers aged under compared to for Netflix and for Amazon
- Netflix is the most vulnerable to subscription substitution for a competitively-priced genuine full-stack direct to consumer provider
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon Prime Video, CBS All Access, HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix